Disclaimer: I am not here to judge anyone who go/ do not go to college or university. This is a plain opinion based post.
I have read some two side comments on "should people go to college", and I think it would be a good blog post as I would like to share my perspective based on the statement.
To be honest, I admit that I used to agree on high schoolers do not need to have a degree or higher education after watching some of the videos saying that college/university is a waste of money and time. I changed my mind until my senior colleague told me that "Don't you feel inferior if you do not have a degree when everybody else have it?", then I kept silent for a while. After that, I kind of consent with his words. If nobody have it, I should have it to prove I'm better than them. If somebody have it, I should have it to prove that I am as good as them. If everyone have it, I MUST have it to prove I am at least one of them.
I have seen someone said that college/university is a trend, everybody goes because of the environment which their friends are all going. They see it as a pathway to become an adult and also a ticket to secure you a job. For my opinion, people who thought of going to college/university (especially high school leavers) please think twice before you decide recklessly. A need to further study goes case by case. It is highly depends on what you plan to do in future, your dream occupation and some other factors. Work that relates to sciences is better to have a degree or even higher qualification. However, jobs such as property agent, event planner, server, photographer, flight attendant and many more does not require to get a bachelor degree. Besides, I generally do not think that attending tertiary education guarantee you a job. Have you ever heard of this statement? "A lot of college/university graduates out there are unemployed". That is true if you look at the chart, however this only applied from 2009 to 2011 which the period with the highest unemployed rate. In fact, there are 2.5% of unemployed college/university graduates while there are 5.3% for high school graduates (FEB 2017). This means people who have a degree are more likely to get a job compared to people without a degree.
For some reasons, few people also claim that they learn a lot from online course, books and also video clips. I think this is subject to the person itself as everyone has their own way of study. What I know is people are more to visualize and hands-on, a person like me would not understand a theory just by reading text. I am the type of people who need guidance, a fun and simpler way of explanation, different views and some hands on experiment in order to fully understand a theory. That is one of the reason I go to college/university, lecturers are there to help academically and counselors are there to advise for any mental issue. Nonetheless, there are people who can learn almost everything by themselves through reading, listening and watching without teaching. They do not require to go college/university then. But, are you one of them?
Other than education in college/university, the experience you had in college/university are the most important part of your life. You could barely experience club activities once you started working, joining clubs and society to get to know sincere friends instead of friends for benefits. You can't wear casual dress code to work but hell yeah for college/university. You wouldn't have to introduce yourself in public every few months (start of new semester) while working as long as you don't change your job. Working adults are NOT eligible for students discount, students save quite a lot from there! Moreover, skip class just because you are lazy or do not feel like going, you clearly can't do that often at work. The best part is college/university students have more HOLIDAYS!!!!! Besides that, you learnt a lot of soft skills and social techniques before you get bombarded by the boss after you started working. In that case, going to college/university reduce the scolding you will received from your superiors.
Maybe you could have heard of this, "Steve Jobs the co-founder of Apple, Bill Gates the co-founder of Microsoft, Mark Zuckerberg the co-founder of Facebook, Oprah Winfrey the famous host of Oprah talk show are college dropouts, they are one of the richest in the world. They are so successful, and people wonder what if they did not drop out from college, would they still be as successful as now?". Less than 50% of students that enroll in college/university will graduate, which means more college students drop out than graduate. So 4 out of many (unknown, could not find a estimated number of college dropouts), this is nearly a 0.00000000001% that you can be as successful and as wealthy as them. Get it? Hence, stop spreading the false hope that your life can be as great as successful dropouts.
As I see it, attending college/university is expensive but worth it. This is because college/university grads earn more than people without degree. In other words, there are higher earnings potential in college/university grads. Read more here. Not only that, 55% of people with student debt say that college worth the cost (JULY 2016). I do think that college/university fee is a bit overpriced but if you know how much they need to run a college/university, you would be convinced with the cost.
I conclude that people who has a dream profession in science or even art should study up to tertiary education for the reasons I mentioned above. Last but not least, the choice is still up to you.
Loves, meLodyyap.
No comments:
Post a Comment